I finished reading "The Host" by Stephenie Meyer. I'm starting a discussion about it in the comments section of this post. Let me know what you liked/didn't like about this science fiction meets romance novel. If you haven't read this book, don't read my comments section since my comments are mostly about the ending of the book and I wouldn't want to spoil it for you!
8 comments:
I finished reading it about a week ago. I found it incredibly compelling. I had a hard time putting it down (which I didn't for the last 4 hours of reading).
As far as the romance in the book goes, I heard echoes of the Twilight series in it, which is fine since I really enjoyed that series. The way she describes Melanie's/Wanda's feelings is very similar.
I was mostly very intrigued by the relationship angle of the whole book. It's a very subtle treatise on prejudice and judgement. We all have flaws to some extent or another, but most of us find the commonalities and focus on those. Some won't let the differences go and ultimately lose out on some very valuable life experiences.
All in all, I loved the book. I love it differently than the Twilight series, but still loved reading it.
My only small complaint was the discovery at the very end. Not sure what that was all about. I suppose it was meant to help us understand that there was hope, that this little group of survivors had a chance of being something more than just the last futile holdouts of humanity.
This book gives new meaning to the term "Body and Soul." I liked how the aliens, although intrinsically kind, gentle, and a peaceful nation, do the most harm of all using humans as hosts. The fire burning flower planet should have given the aliens pause to take more care in choosing a host planet.
I like that the perception of humans in Wanderers mind changes as she comes to understand the feelings behind the actions. Living in a host body exposes her to feelings of deepest sorrow as well as overwhelming joy. She comes to love this part of being human over time and realizes that she wouldn't want a life of "non-living" on another planet.
I felt that the last couple of chapters seemed hurried as if the author was trying to tie everything up before she ran out of pages. I did, however, like reading the last chapters and was glad to know that Jared "persuaded" Doc to keep Wanderer alive.
I enjoyed the discussions between Melanie Stryder and Wanderer and wished that there was more dialogue like that.
I liked that Ian truly "got" Wanderer. Understood her perspective on most everything. I also liked Jared's character as a get things done kind of guy.
I don't understand the point of Sharon and Maggie in the story. Why didn't the author try some conversations between them and Wanderer.
Those are a few of my thoughts ...
I liked this one a lot, too. I've heard people say they didn't like it, but I think they were expecting Twilight, and this was totally different.
I liked Wanda's perspective of the human body--it made me appreciate my own more! How she talked about the intensity of our feelings, good and bad, and how the mind doesn't always rule the body. All of that was really interesting.
I loved the medicines the healers used. How great would it be to have those?! They were so simple.
I thought it was SO interesting how she wrote about the different attitudes toward Wanda once she was in her new, less threatening body. People weren't afraid of her at all, the lady with the kids let her hold them, etc. That raised interesting questions about how much our physical appearance accounts for how we're treated and perceived.
Julie--I thought the end felt kind of rushed, too. I would have liked more on what happened when Melanie woke up, and what led up to that. It felt abrupt, like 'here you go, Melanie is awake and fine and Wanda's in a new body and fine-the end'.
I think the discovery of the other humans at the end was just a teaser for the next book in the series. I read in an interview that this one will be a series like Twilight.
It will be weird in the other books to read it from only Wanda's perspective instead of Melanie and Wanda's perspective together...I wonder how that will be handled? Overall though I liked it a lot, and I am not usually a big science fiction fan. But I'm not a big vampire/werewolf fan either under normal circumstances, so I think from here on out I'll just read whatever Stephenie Meyer writes no matter how crazy it sounds! Who's with me?
ej - I'm sure the survivors developed a great dislike for the aliens who took over the bodies of their family, friends, and neighbors. Having a prejudice against Wanda is not surprising even when all the evidence points the other way. I like that Jeb, Ian, and Jamie are quick to give Wanda the benefit of the doubt. In real life, what are we? Are we a "Kyle" or are we a "Jeb"?
Kim - I'm with you! I think Stephenie Meyer is an amazing author! I can't wait to read "Breaking Dawn"!
jules - I think there are three types represented in the book:
1) Jeb/Ian who quickly see the individual and not the stereotype
2) Kyle who stubbornly holds to the stereotype until he has some experience in which he is deeply connected, and then embraces the individual
3) Sharon/Maggie who refuse to see the individual, no matter how much evidence is given that the person is really not like the stereotype, or that the stereotype is wrong altogether.
ej - Nice distinction!
I also really enjoyed this book. My favorite was the overall theme of love. Not just romantic love, but motherly love, love for your fellow creatures and even love for your enemies. Wanda said the way of the Soul is love, and Wanda truly taught these humans every aspect of love. I think it is interesting that the author describes "true" romantic love as something that is permanent and unchangeable. She does this in the Twilight series too. I rather think that love is more of a choice you make than a permanent change physically or emotionally. I think perhaps many would like romantic love to be the way the author describes (wouldn't that be a lot less work:-), and that is why lots of people go through several relationships in a lifetime.
I read this book last week and really enjoyed it. I hope my ramblings/thoughts are understandable. I'm leaving them as I read the other thoughts here.
I like that both Jared and Ian's personalities are valued even thought they are so different. I like that they both got their girl. I think as a women, I want the attention and understanding that Wanda got from Ian, but I know that all guys are not like that. Some are more like Jared, getting the job done. They can close off there feelings for the practical. I hope that we can appreciate the men that we have and understand the value of the man that someone else has chosen.
Forgiveness-wow, I think there are a lot of lessons here. the way Melanie forgives and ends up loving Wanda. how many of us could dislike a group of people but give an individual from that group a chance. I think the inability to do this is were prejudices come from.
Kyle- never give up on someone. I never thought this guy would change. I thought he would be live-with-able, but not change. I think the love that Wanda showed him had a big impact.
Ian tried to kill Wanda, yet they are now "Partners".
I think meeting the other group of "natives" was a happy, hope-giving part of the book and made the ending a good one, instead of an OK one.
I think of the future of the natives vs the souls. I now have hope that someday the natives can take back part of the planet.
Can't wait for the saga to continue!
Post a Comment