This post has been in the making for some time now. It came together today. I'm not sure of all the future a-ha moments I might still have regarding these things, but I wanted to write a few thoughts so that I can remember them.
I often grumble about the small mundane tasks before me each day. You have no idea! I could fill a book. Most days, I'm holding on by a thread. That single thread has recently joined forces with a few more threads. From a book called "I am a Mother" by Jane Clayson Johnson I am learning that my role as a mother is a powerful tool to bring great happiness in the lives of those I influence. So, I get to shape the lives of my family and hopefully do so without lasting damage (no pressure).
Last Saturday night at the General Relief Society Meeting, President Dieter F. Uchtdorf taught me that I could be a creator like my Father in Heaven. Not just in creating life, but in creating love in my home, beauty in my yard, kindness in my words, a strong family, a growing testimony, etc... Even this blog is a way that I can create and something that I can enjoy. So, I get to be a creator of life and in the lives of those around me (i.e. my children).
In Relie
f Society on Sunday, we talked of the beauty in each of us and how we are all different but contribute to the whole. It's not one big thing that we do to make a difference, but several small seemingly insignificant acts that come together over time to make something beautiful. “Behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass” (Alma 37:6). So, through the small and simple acts (the mundane stuff) great and beautiful things can be created.
Elder Ballard in last conference said "There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique. Each mother has different challenges, different skills and abilities, and certainly different children." Elder Ballard also taught me that I should develop my own talents. He said "find some time for yourself to cultivate your gifts and interests. Pick one or two things that you would like to learn or do that will enrich your life, and make time for them." So I don't have to be just like other mothers, I just need to be the best mother I can be. Also, I get to develop my own talents! Right now I'm focusing on pilates and reading, but in the future maybe I'll pick up the violin again.
Being a mother is a powerful role in which I can create something of beauty through the small and simple things I do each day in caring for my family. I will try to remember this when B writes with permanent marker on the walls again. Also, I am going to focus on the things that make me happy: My boys in white shirts and ties on Sunday, a good mea
l, working out at the gym, crafting (beading, braiding, scrapbooking, painting), reading a good book, talking with friends, my flower garden, kissing my husband in the kitchen, clothes shopping with Boo, reading blogs, organizing my home, laughing, seeing a child learn something new, snuggling with my little ones. The pictures are flowers in my garden! I have enjoyed them all spring and summer and now into fall. I love looking at them. I will miss them dearly in the winter.
8 comments:
Julie, yet again you have inspired me! Thank you for those beautiful words and sharing all those thoughts. I've been thinking about the same kind of things lately so it's nice to have the insight of someone I admire!
Love how your brain works! I also loved Elder Uchtdorf's talk Saturday night. It was inspiring and so sincere. Thanks for keeping us in the Picket Lane loop with your comments. We love hearing from you.
p.s. Your flowers look fabulous!
Jules, thanks for sharing those thoughts. We lose sight so quickly of our importance - I think that is what Satan focuses on attacking - the mothers. If he can make them lose sight, then he can ruin the whole family unit and be successful. I love your flowers - they are beautiful. I'm also in that - winter is coming - enjoy it while I can stage! Thanks for sharing your life and thoughts with us - you are doing great - BTW - I'd love for you to pick up that violin - that would be awesome!
I really enjoyed this post. I have been feeling the same, with the mundane things we do everyday, I hope and pray that it is making a difference. In response to your question about the ingredients. I use semi sweet chocolate chips and margarine.
great post Jules. Thanks for sharing your wonderful insights that will help me be a better mother and happier daughter of God.
I guess all of us mothers feel the same way. Sometimes it can be so hard to do all the mundane things and then wake up again the next day and start all over again... I appreciate your thoughts on how they do bring to pass bigger things, like a happy family. I guess the Lord shows us through His tender mercies how we are making a difference.
I am glad that I am not the only one who feels like they are hanging on by a thread some days. Thanks for this post I really enjoyed it.
Julie - I'm glad I read this post. Very insightful and true - being a mother is more than just wanting to pull your hair out at any moment! It's always good to remember the big picture! :)
Julie! What fun to see what you're up to! Your family is beautiful! And you look just as great as ever. Don't you age, woman? So not fair.
Really good to her from you!
Post a Comment