Edla in 4 words - Stately, independant, considerate, and giving.
She was an amazing woman and made me feel like one of the family. There was never a visit where she was too busy to stop what she was doing and talk with us. Oh, and did I mention the food? She always kept some Dan's cookies or pies on hand. Even when her and Carl (her husband of 70 years) moved into an assisted living center where their meals were prepared for them, she still had a supply of goodies for my kids (just between you and me, I think Grandpa has a sweet tooth). Before we had children, my husband and I would go visit her and grandpa. We would sit and listen to her and Carl tell stories of their life together. When it was time to go, they would start filling our arms with stuff. We never left their house empty handed.
When DH and I were poor college students and had to make homemade gifts for everyone, Grandpa Carl cut wood in his shop and Grandma Edla taught me how to tole paint. She was always sharing craft ideas with me. When her hands were too arthritic to paint or crochet, she taught my daughter how to knit a hat using a loom.
I know that these all sound grandmotherly, but Edla was also a smart lady. She liked to do math for fun. When I married into the family, I got a kick out of the fact that sometimes Grandma and Grandpa would get in their camper and go wherever they wanted without knowing beforehand exactly where they might be going or when they would come home.
These are just a handful of many happy memories -
Grandma - I love and miss you and am so glad to have known you.
2 comments:
She sounds very neat. I'm sorry she's gone, but glad you'll get to be a part of her family forever.
What a great woman to be related to! My condolences to you and DH.
Post a Comment