Friday, August 15, 2008

Olympic Gymnastics

At 8 years old, I watched the Olympics on TV. I couldn't get enough of Nadia. Soon after, my parents started me in gymnastics lessons! I was a natural. That's me in 1st place all around. I took state that year. I think I was 11. In '84 when Mary Lou Retton got her perfect 10 in the LA Olympics, I started planning my debut in the Seoul 1988 Olympics. I had it all figured out. I would be 16 years old by then.

Okay, so I had BIG dreams, but had no idea the complicated details of how to make those dreams come true. When I was about 13, my coach left and the gym closed down . This was the beginning of the end for me in gymnastics, although I did continue to compete in high school and I taught gymnastics in college. Even though I didn't realize my dreams, I love seeing others reach them! I am having so much fun watching the Beijing Olympics. I'm not getting much sleep, but who cares!


I was so glad to see Shawn finally get the gold! She deserves it. And Nastia, wow! She is amazing. I would have loved to see her get the gold on uneven bars, but she should be proud of her performance.


Sleepless and loving it!

4 comments:

Meagan said...

I LOVE THE GYMNASTICS in the olympics TOO. I did gymnastics too when I was younger. It sounds like you were really good. that is Awesome.

Cindy said...

I loved watching the floor competition, it was awesome! How fun that you excelled at that as a kid. I for one was too busy being an awkward, uncoordinated klutz!

Becky said...

That explains your form in yoga class.... I'm so jealous watching you. You're a natural!

jendoop said...

I knew you were awesome at gymnastics but you've never shown me that picture before. You're brave to admit to that hair :) love you!

PS - I tease only because you know I have horrid hair pictures lurking in my past too.