Monday, February 16, 2009

Eight year olds and accountability

Last month, my eight year old G was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It was a special day for him. He was baptized by immersion in a font at our church. Then several family members (who have priesthood authority) layed hands upon his head while my husband confirmed him a member of the church and gave him a sweet blessing.

Here's the pictures:



As a mother, it is awesome to see my little boy take this step. It is interesting that as his brain begins to understand the meaning of choice and consequences that he would be given the opportunity to make a choice of this magnitude and be held accountable by his Father in Heaven for his actions. I hope he understands that he is NOT perfect and will make mistakes, but he can learn to make good choices and will be guided by the spirit to make such choices.

3 comments:

jendoop said...

Ok I know this is supposed to be a spiritual post all about the beauty of baptism and this special day. But I have to say I hate how you and Brian never look any older. How's that for a hateful comment on your blog. Delete that!

love you!

temaire said...

This was a beautiful post. I am so happy for you and him. Congratulations to both of you! :)

Jules said...

jendoop - I loved your hateful comment. You can't see in the picture since it's not a close-up or anything, but my hair is riddled with gray, and those laugh lines around my eyes are not just from laughing.

temaire - My 8 year old is growing up so fast and shows me daily all the things he is doing like his older brother, but I need to remember that he is still only 8 and needs hugs too. Tonight he was devastated because he couldn't find his favorite stuffed animal to sleep with.