On Sunday we took the older kids to the dedication of the Draper Utah Temple. We took them a couple of weeks ago to see the inside of the temple before it was dedicated. It was beautiful and a great teaching opportunity.
Today, it's cold outside. It even snowed today! My kids didn't have school and even though my intentions were to get up and start the day off with plans and structure, I ended up talking on the phone all morning (I'm planning a getaway with some friends) and letting the kids get their own breakfast. At lunchtime I decided to try and get them to do their piano practicing and school work (practice for upcoming state standardized tests and book reports), but another phone call interrupted and the kids were hungry so we heated up some leftovers and I put my 2 year old down for a nap. Oh yeah, I thought I'd get started on some laundry too, so I started that, and then decided to make bread, but what of the kids? It doesn't seem to matter how much I beg and prod, as soon as my attention is diverted elsewhere they drop whatever it was I asked them to do. To tell you the truth, I think they are burned out and really not motivated to think about school today. We've had a busy weekend and I guess we just all need a day off. I need a day off from trying to find a way to motivate the kids to get chores, school work and piano practice in, and they needed a day off from the structure and the seemingly neverending work.
Current status report: A is on the computer playing his favorite game, Boo and G are in their room chewing bubble gum and chatting away, little B is playing Brawl on the Wii with the neighbor kids, and S is waking up from his nap. I am blogging - and I just read a very inspirational blog (Paul Cardall) and I'm enjoying a slice of homemade bread. The laundry is still in the washing machine and I'm not showered or dressed. I should spend some time preparing for FHE tonight and tomorrow's preschool lesson, but I probably only have time to get dinner made. C'est la vie!
6 comments:
I'm glad Edward was able to make it to your party! I hope you'll let me take a peek at your basement when it's all finished. Always fun to see how others work the same floor plan!
cindy - you bet! I've gotten lots of ideas from you already.
Love the comment about being buoyant while swimming - that's why I go all the time while pregnant, who cares what I look like! Oh, and I finally put the tag up on my blog.
Good for you - sometimes the unstructured times are the most enjoyable and memorable. Laundry and housework will always be there. Not necessarily the kids!
Love the pictures of the kids. It's so good to see them. Wish I could have been there for the party... and Edward, of course! Miss you guys.
Fab Five - miss you too! Edward was pretty quiet during the evening. Didn't talk much or even move. Maybe he was just trying not to breath so that we would't become his next meal.
Post a Comment