Friday, April 18, 2008

Escape Artist

Every day (even when it is freezing cold outside) my three year old B asks me if he can go outside and scooter around. I want to say "Yes! Let's go play," but I don't because 1) I'm usually home schooling my 12 year old and 2) I can't just drop what I'm doing to supervise B in the front yard. So, the answer is generally "NO." Recently, B realized that if he is let out in the back yard to play, he can run to the side of the house and go through the gate to get to the front yard. Yikes. It is very scary when you send your 3 year old to the back yard only to look out the front window and see him roaming the streets! So I put a padlock on the gate. He was so sad, he came to me crying to tell me some mean person had the audacity to put a lock on the gate (imagine my surprise). The front door and the garage door have a safety lock on it and I've duct taped the safety lock for extra precaution. I know, I sound a little over protective, but these are my kiddos we're talking about here.

JUST WHEN I THOUGHT ALL WAS SAFE!

B has taken this front yard thing to a new level! This week he was at the kitchen window and he saw some neighbor kids riding around outside. He started calling to them and we thought "Oh how cute, he is talking to his friends through the window" and next thing I know he's outside with them!!! I KNOW. My husband informed me that B had asked the 3 year old neighbor to come open OUR front door so B could come out and play with him.

What did I do? What could I do! I went outside and played with B and his partner in crime!

(Note - During the writing of this post, B asked me if he could go outside and scooter around! The sun is just barely coming up and B is still in his pajamas).

Pray for me

6 comments:

Ware Family said...

Julie,
I should have thought of the duct tape idea months ago when Jackson learned to take ours apart!
Man, why can't I come up with these "genius" ideas?
Sheesh.
I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Lynja said...

He is a little genus :0

KIM {POPPY SEED PROJECTS} said...

HAHAHA! You better watch out, I had a little brother like that and he was a little houdini. Neighbors were bringing him home all the time--I guess we'll all just have to keep our eyes open for him!

Mare said...

Good luck with that one. I do know someone who tied their kid (who mysteriously kept escaping in a similar manner) to a rocking chair for a while... I think her child learned eventually...although there may be severe psychological ramifications to that one! Thank heavens for duct tape!

jendoop said...

What a smart kid! Like they say it will serve him well as an adult, if he lives that long!

Jules said...

I can't take credit for the "genius" duct tape idea. A friend who also has an escapee let me in on it. I think I'll forego the tying him up though. Those prayers must be working because he hasn't found a way out of the house all week. It sounds like I keep him in all day, but really every afternoon, weather permitting, we go out and play in the front yard.