Tuesday, May 5, 2009

BYU Women's Conference

I headed South on Wednesday night and joined my Colorado friends (Cheri and Shari) and their friends (Angie, Cozette, Kris, Becky, and Robin) for a little R&R. My DH took Thursday and Friday off of work to stay at home with the kids. Us girls stayed in a hotel in Provo and spent two days attending classes at BYU Women's Conference, shopping, eating, playing, shopping, and did I mention shopping? Truth be told, I didn't spend much, just bought a couple of CD's (this and this) for my DH and got a few gifts for the kids (this and that). Mostly, I filled myself with enlightening presentations aimed at giving me a deeper spiritual base from which I might draw on.

Adriane Gil presented ideas on how to talk to your teenager. This was one of the most informative lectures I attended. I'm going to try to reiterate her thoughts to better cement them in my brain.

Number 1 - Do your homework;
She quoted D&C 9:7-8 which reads - Behold, you have not understood; you have supposed that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me. But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.

We as parents should be prepared (take time to think about and prepare) to ask our teenagers pertinent individual questions. Utilize resources -internet to check on grades, or be aware of school events; text message about an upcoming test, etc...

Number 2 - Be quick to show compassion and slow to judge;
She quoted President Monson as saying "refrain from judging others." She talked about how we as parents should not pass judgement on our teenager's friends. In doing so, we may cut off communication with our teen. When issues or concerns arise and our teenager needs to talk with us concerning thier friends, they will do so unless we have already closed that door.

Number 3 - Demonstrate patience and respect;
She said that sometimes we send a barage of advice and/or demands to our teens. How much interaction do you have during the day that doesn't include a demand or advice? In the book "The Good Teen" by Lerner, research showed that when parents stepped in to help their teen with a school project or homework, the teens grades may or may not have improved, but always their confidence went down. Sister Gil pointed out that in 2 Nephi 25:26 - (And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ ...) the word "talk" appears first and seperately from the word "preach."

And if that weren't enough, following Adriane Gil's presentation, John Bytheway also spoke on communicating with your teen. One thing that really stuck out for me was when he said that we as parents should ask ourselves, "What is it like to be parented by me?" Do you begin a sentence with the following phrases: "You should" or "you must" or "Don't forget to.."? What incentive are you giving your teenager to talk with you? In my case - NOT A LOT!

I hope to take their advice to heart and more carefully prepare for future conversations even with my preteens. Anyone out there with teenagers? Does this stuff jive with you? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

6 comments:

temaire said...

I am so glad that your husband was able to take those days off so that you could go. As women and mothers we totally need to have some time to ourselves. Great that it was for something spiritually uplifting as well! I am glad that you have a great time...and shopping is ALWAYS a good thing! lol

Lynja said...

Thanks for recapping those talks for me. I can really us some of that even now. I'm going to try some of those.

Tiffany said...

FUN!! I've always wanted to go to BYU Women's Conference, awesome!!

Mare said...

I'm so glad you are going through the ropes on the teenage thing first. I can't wait to find expert advice when I need it! thanks for sharing.

Fab Five said...

It sounds like a wonderfully relaxing & fun weekend! Thanks for the teenage advice... I need it for my 7-year-old! AHHHHH!! :)

jendoop said...

Thanks for sharing what you learned. Great stuff, I loved the thought about realizing what it is like to be parented by me.

With my mom visiting for a few days it has opened my eyes to how my parenting is different from hers. I really try to not place value judgements on things. Like when milk gets spilled, it just happened, it isn't anyone's fault. While I feel my Mom wants to lay the blame somewhere - it doesn't help anyone to do that. I also realize that I like to foster my children's independence. I lead them towards a task and walk away, knowing that they may fail, but most likely they'll figure it out and feel successful! (heating up their own dinner, cleaning the bathroom, putting their sister's shoes on) If they fail it's OK, because we aren't passing judgement. They are free to learn from their failure and move on, not be shamed by it.

So these are the things I'm trying to work on in my parenting. I want my children to know I believe in them, in their abilities, and don't want them to be burdened with unneccesary guilt.